This simple, tacky baked spaghetti squash is a more healthy tackle mac and cheese! It’s tacky, loaded with greens and looks like consolation meals, with out the energy and carbs.
I used to be craving one thing tacky, with out all of the carbs from macaroni and got here up with this dish again in 2003. I mainly swapped the pasta from my Macaroni and Cheese recipe with roasted spaghetti squash and the outcomes have been this excellent! The squash takes on a improbable texture when baked within the cheese sauce. I not too long ago had the photographs re-shot and thought I might revive this fashionable recipe from the archives.
This could simply be ready forward, then baked simply earlier than able to serve. I reheated leftovers within the microwave for lunch the subsequent day and it was simply nearly as good as after I first made it. Nice as a important dish or a aspect.
Suggestions for spaghetti squash success:
If you happen to’re new to creating this winter squash, you don’t need to peel it. Minimize the squash in half lengthwise or down the center for longer strands, scoop out the seeds and bake.
As soon as the spaghetti squash is baked and faraway from the shell, there might be loads of liquid. I like to recommend wringing it with paper towels or a cheesecloth to keep away from this from being too soggy.
Spaghetti Squash and Cheese Variations:
- You’ll be able to attempt making this with totally different cheese combos. Attempt a mixture of cheddar and swiss, or swap it for Havari.
- Add some breadcrumbs to the Parmesan topping on the finish for some texture.
- Add some cooked rooster sausage for added protein.
- Make a tuna spaghetti squash casserole purchase swapping spinach for tuna and peas
Listed below are extra spaghetti squash recipes you’ll get pleasure from:
Baked Spaghetti Squash and Cheese
Tacky baked spaghetti squash and child spinach – a comforting, tacky dish, with out the guilt. Good for Meatless Mondays or any day of the week!
- 5 half cups cooked spaghetti squash (from about 2 small) see instructions under:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/four cup minced onion
- 1/four cup flour (use 2 tbsp corn starch for gf)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fats free rooster broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- eight ozSargento 2% diminished fats gentle cheddar
- salt and pepper, to style
- four cups (about four oz) child spinach
- 1/eight cup grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Minimize the squash in half lengthwise; take away and discard seeds. Place squash on a baking sheet minimize aspect down. Bake till tender, about 1 hour.
- Separate the strands of squash with a fork and place in a medium bowl; discard shells. Squeeze out any extra liquid from the squash if watery.
- Preserve the oven temperature.
- Warmth butter and oil in a big saucepan over medium warmth. Add onions and cook dinner about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Scale back warmth to low and cook dinner, stirring regularly three – four minutes.
- Add milk and rooster broth and proceed whisking, elevating warmth to medium-high till it involves a boil and turns into easy and thick, about 2 minutes stirring; season with salt and pepper.
- As soon as it turns into thick, take away from warmth, add cheddar cheese and blend effectively till cheese is melted.
- Modify salt and pepper to style, add cooked spaghetti squash and child spinach, pour right into a baking dish and sprinkle parmesan cheese on high.
- Bake till bubbly and golden 25 to 30 minutes.
Yield: 7 servings, Serving Measurement: 1 cup
- Quantity Per Serving:
- Good Factors: four
- Factors +: 5
- Energy: 165
- Complete Fats: 8g
- Saturated Fats: g
- Ldl cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 278.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Protein: 10g
All photos and textual content ©